Munich also known as München is the capital and largest city of the German state of Bavaria. It is located on the River Isar north of the Bavarian Alps. Munich is the third largest city in Germany, after Berlin and Hamburg. You can buy our complete Munich City Guide on Google Play Store.
Most popular places to visit in Munich are:
The Allianz Arena is a football stadium in Munich with a 69,901 seating capacity. Widely known for its exterior of inflated ETFE plastic panels, it is the first stadium in the world with a full color-changing color exterior.
It is the third largest arena in Germany behind Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund and the Olympiastadion in Berlin.
The two professional Munich football clubs FC Bayern Munich and TSV 1860 München have played their home games at the Allianz Arena since the start of the 2005–06 season.
The Alte Pinakothek also known as Old Pinakothek, is an art museum situated in the Kunstareal in Munich. It is one of the oldest galleries in the world and houses one of the most famous collections of Old Master paintings.
The museum galleries were designed to display Rubens's "Last Judgment" (1617), one of the largest canvasses ever painted.
The BMW Museum is an automobile museum in Munich. Located near the Olympiapark, it deals with the history of the automobile manufacturer BMW.
The museum was established in 1973, shortly after the Summer Olympics opened. From 2004 to 2008, it was renovated in connection with the construction of the BMW Welt, directly opposite. The museum reopened on June 21, 2008.
BMW Welt also known as BMW World, is a multi-functional customer experience and exhibition facility of the BMW AG, located in Munich. In direct proximity to the BMW Headquarters and the Olympiapark, it is designed to present the current products of BMW, be a distribution center for BMW cars, and offer an event forum and a conference center.
Designed by architects Coop Himmelb(l)au for BMW Group, the facility was constructed from August 2003 through summer 2007 at a cost of US$ 200 million.
The Botanischer Garten München-Nymphenburg is a botanical garden, spread over 21.20 hectares in Munich. It was created in 1914 in the Munich outskirts at Nymphenburg to designs by the garden architects Holfeld.
Today the garden cultivates about 14,000 species on approximately 18 hectares, and serves to educate the public and train students of the Ludwig-Maximilians-University, as well as preserve rare plants and European bee species. Major areas include an alpine garden, arboretum, collection of moor and steppe plants, rhododendrons, rose garden and systematic garden.
The garden also contains an extensive greenhouse complex (4,500 m² total area in 11 greenhouses), including rooms for bromeliads and Arecaceae, cactus and succulents, cycads, ferns, orchids, and Mexican plants. The orchid collection includes over 2700 species from 270 genera, as well as hybrids, with special collections of Catasetinae, Cattleya (unifoliates), Cymbidium, Dendrobium, Dracula, Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Pleione, Stanhopeinae, Vanda, and Zygopetalinae.
The Deutsches Museum also known as German Museum, was founded on June 28, 1903.
It is the world's largest museum of science and technology, with approximately 1.5 million visitors per year and about 28,000 exhibited objects from 50 fields of science and technology.
The English Garden also known as Englischer Garten, is a large public park in the centre of Munich, stretching from the city centre to the northeastern city limits. It was created in 1789 by Sir Benjamin Thompson (1753–1814).
With an area of 3.7 km2, the English Garten is one of the world\'s largest urban public parks, larger than New York's Central Park.
In April 1972, to celebrate the Summer Olympics of that year, which were held in Munich, a Japanese teahouse and a Japanese garden were created on a small island at the south end of the Englischer Garten, behind the Haus der Kunst.
The park also has the Chinesischer Turm or Chinese Tower, a 25 metre high wooden structure, first constructed in 1789 to 1790, from a design by the Mannheimer military architect Joseph Frey (1758–1819).
The Frauenkirche also known as Dom zu Unserer Lieben Frau or Cathedral of Our Dear Lady, is a church in the Bavarian city of Munich that serves as the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising and seat of its Archbishop.
It is a landmark and is considered a symbol of the Bavarian capital city. The church towers are widely visible because of local height limits. The Frauenkirche was constructed from red brick in the late Gothic style within only 20 years. The building is designed very plainly, without rich Gothic ornaments.
The Hofgarten also known as Court Garden, is a garden in the center of Munich, located between the Residenz and the Englischer Garten.
The garden was built in 1613–1617 by Maximilian I, Elector of Bavaria as an Italian style Renaissance garden. In the center of the garden is a pavilion for the goddess Diana, built in 1615 by Heinrich Schön the elder. A path leads from each of the eight arches. On the roof of the Diana pavilion is the replica of a sculpture of Bavaria by Hubert Gerhard, created in 1623. The original is in the Kaisersaal of the Residenz.
Karlsplatz also known as Stachus, is a large square in central Munich. The square was officially named Karlsplatz in 1797 after the unpopular Charles Theodore, Elector of Bavaria.
Most important buildings dominating the square are on the east side the Karlstor, a gothic gate of the demolished medieval fortification and the rondell buildings on both sides next to the gate (constructed by Gabriel von Seidl 1899-1902).
The most significant buildings on the opposite west side are the neo-baroque Justizpalast (Palace of Justice) and the Kaufhof, the first postwar department store of Munich (by Theo Pabst, 1950/1951).
The underground contains a large shopping center.
Marienplatz also known as Mary's Square or St. Mary, Our Lady's Square, is a central square in the city centre of Munich. It has been the city's main square since 1158.
Today the Marienplatz is dominated by the New City Hall (Neues Rathaus) on the north side. The Glockenspiel in the tower of the new city hall was inspired by these tournaments, and draws millions of tourists a year. At the east side Munich's Old City Hall (Altes Rathaus) is located.
Today the Old Castle is home to the Württemberg State Museum.
The Neue Pinakothek also known as New Pinakothek, is an art museum in Munich. Its focus is European Art of the 18th and 19th century and is one of the most important museums of art of the nineteenth century in the world.
Together with the Alte Pinakothek and the Pinakothek der Moderne it is part of Munich's "Kunstareal" (the "art area").
The museum is under supervision of the Bavarian State Painting Collections which houses an expanded collection of more than 3000 European paintings from classicism to art nouveau. About 400 paintings and 50 sculptures of these are exhibited in the New Pinakothek.
New Town Hall
The New Town Hall also known as Neues Rathaus, is a town hall at the northern part of Marienplatz in Munich. It hosts the city government including the city council, offices of the mayors and part of the administration. In 1874 the municipality had left the Old Town Hall for its new domicile.
The Nymphenburg Palace also known as Schloss Nymphenburg or Nymph's Castle, is a Baroque palace in Munich, Bavaria, southern Germany. The palace was the main summer residence of the rulers of Bavaria of the House of Wittelsbach.
The palace, together with its park, is now one of the most famous sights of Munich. The baroque facades comprise an overall width of about 700 metres. Some rooms still show their original baroque decoration while others were later redesigned in rococo or neoclassical style.
The Olympiapark in Munich, is an Olympic Park which was constructed for the 1972 Summer Olympics. Found in the area of Munich known as the Oberwiesenfeld, the Park continues to serve as a venue for cultural, social, and religious events such as events of worship. The Park is administered by Olympiapark München GmbH, a holding company fully owned by the state capital of Munich.
Olympic Stadium also known as Olympiastadion, is a stadium located in Munich. Situated at the heart of the Olympiapark München in northern Munich, the stadium was built as the main venue for the 1972 Summer Olympics.
With an original capacity of 80,000, the stadium also hosted many major football matches including the 1974 World Cup Final and the Euro '88 Final. It hosted the European Cup Finals of 1979, 1993 and 1997.
Until the construction of the Allianz Arena for the 2006 World Cup, the stadium was home to Bayern Munich and TSV 1860 Munich.
The Munich Residenz also known as Münchner Residenz or Munich Residence, is the former royal palace of the Bavarian monarchs of the House of Wittelsbach in the centre of the city of Munich.
The Residenz is the largest city palace in Germany and is today open to visitors for its architecture, room decorations and displays from the former royal collections.
The complex of buildings contains ten courtyards and displays 130 rooms. The three main parts are the Königsbau (near the Max-Joseph-Platz), the Alte Residenz (Old Residenz; towards the Residenzstraße) and the Festsaalbau (towards the Hofgarten).
The Viktualienmarkt is a daily food market and a square in the center of Munich.
The Viktualienmarkt developed from an original farmers market to a popular market for gourmets. In an area covering 22,000 m2 (240,000 sq ft), 140 stalls and shops offer flowers, exotic fruit, game, poultry, spices, cheese, fish, juices and so on.
Copyright © All rights reserved.