Stuttgart is the capital of the state of Baden-Württemberg in southern Germany. It is the sixth-largest city in Germany and spread across a variety of hills, valleys and parks. You can buy our complete Stuttgart City Guide on Apple Store or Google Play Store.
Most popular places to visit in Stuttgart are:
Castle Solitude also known as Schloss Solitude, was built as a hunting lodge between 1764 and 1769 under Duke Karl Eugen of Württemberg. It is not a true castle, but rather a rococo palace. Since 1956 the area is part of the urban district of Stuttgart-West.
The castle is located on a high plain between the towns of Leonberg, Gerlingen and Stuttgart. The castle offers views to the north over Weilimdorf, Korntal and Ludwigsburg.
The Grabkapelle also known as Sepulchral Chapel, on Württemberg hill, was erected by King Wilhelm I in memory of his beloved wife Katharina, who died at a young age.
The prominently positioned chapel, constructed between 1820 and 1824, overlooks the Neckar Valley. King Wilhelm purposely chose this deeply symbolic location on the site of the former family residence of the dukes of Württemberg. Moreover, it was one of Queen Katharina’s favourite places.
The Königsbau is one of the most influential building of the Stuttgart Palace Square. It forms the north-western end of the square and houses mainly shops and cafes. Königsbau has an area of approximately 18 000 m2 spread over four floors.
The Markthalle in Stuttgart is an Art Nouveau building in the city center of Stuttgart. It was built after the plans of architect Prof. Martin Elsässer and inaugurated in January 1914.
The Markthalle is now a consumer market in the upper price segment with 37 different stalls (as of 2010). There are a total of 6800 square meters of space available (including the ground floor of 3500 square feet for stalls) and has a length of 60 meters and a width of 25 meters, numerous service providers and dealers room.
Mercedes Benz Arena
The Mercedes-Benz Arena is a stadium located in Stuttgart and home to German Bundesliga club VfB Stuttgart.
Before 1993 it was called Neckarstadion, named after the nearby river Neckar and between 1993 and July 2008 it was called Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion. From the 2008-09 season, the stadium was renamed the Mercedes-Benz Arena, starting with a pre-season friendly against Arsenal on 30 July 2008.
The Mercedes-Benz Arena hosted four matches of the 1974 FIFA World Cup, two matches of the 1988 UEFA European Football Championship (a 1st Round match and a semi-final) and six games of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, including a Round of 16 game and the third-place playoff match.
The stadium also hosted the finals of the European Cup (now known as UEFA Champions League) in 1959 (Real Madrid vs. Stade de Reims) and 1988 (PSV Eindhoven vs. S.L. Benfica).
Mercedes Benz Museum
The Mercedes-Benz Museum is an automobile museum in Stuttgart. It covers the history of the Mercedes-Benz brand and the brands associated with it.
The current building was designed by UN Studio. It is based on a unique cloverleaf concept using three overlapping circles with the center removed to form a triangular atrium.
The museum contains more than 160 vehicles, some dating back to the very earliest days of the motor engine. The vehicles are maintained by the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center of Fellbach.
The New Palace also known as Neue Schloss, is a building which stands on the south edge of Schlossplatz, the central square in Stuttgart. The castle is built in late Baroque style.
From 1746 to 1797 and from 1805 to 1807, it served as a residence of the kings of Württemberg. The palace stands adjacent to the Old Castle.
The Old Castle also known as Altes Schloss, is located in the centre of Stuttgart. It dates back to the 10th century.
The first castle dated back to around 950 when Stuttgart was a settlement for breeding horses. In the 14th century it became the residence of the sovereign Counts of Württemberg. In the 16th century dukes Christopher and Ludwig ordered it to be converted into a Renaissance castle. Moats around the castle were removed in the 18th century.
Today the Old Castle is home to the Württemberg State Museum.
The Porsche Museum is an automobile museum in the Zuffenhausen district of Stuttgart, on the site of carmaker Porsche.
The display area covers 5600 square metres featuring around 80 exhibits, many rare cars and a variety of historical models. The museum was designed by the architects Delugan Meissl.
The Staatstheater Stuttgart also known as Stuttgart State Theatre, are a multi-branch-theatre with the branches Oper Stuttgart (Opera Stuttgart), Stuttgart Ballet (Stuttgarter Ballett) and Stuttgart Drama Theatre (Schauspiel Stuttgart) in Stuttgart.
Designed by the noted Munich architect, Max Littmann, who won a competition to create new royal theatres, the building was constructed between 1909 and 1912 as the Königliche Hoftheater, royal theatres of the Kingdom of Württemberg with a Grosses Haus and a Kleines Haus.
State Gallery of Stuttgart
The State Gallery also known as Staatsgalerie, consists of three buildings, which stand for different Definitons the function of museum architecture.
The oldest part, now called the Old State Gallery, was opened in 1843 as the Museum of Fine Arts. The architect was Georg Gottlob Barth.
The New State Galary also known as Neue Staatsgalerie, architectural designed by James Stirling, opened on March 9, 1984 on a site right next to the old building. It houses a collection of 20th-century modern art — from Pablo Picasso to Oskar Schlemmer, Joan Miró and Joseph Beuys.
After two years of construction, the recent building of the State Gallery was opened to the public in September 2002. It has five floors the Graphic Collection and two new exhibition halls.
State Museum of Natural History
The State Museum of Natural History also known as Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde, abbreviated SMNS, is one of the two state of Baden-Württemberg's natural history museums. Together with the State Museum of Natural History Karlsruhe it is one of the most important repositories for state-owned natural history collections.
Exhibitions are shown in two buildings, both situated in the Rosenstein park in Stuttgart: the Löwentor Museum houses the paleontology and geology exhibitions, while the Museum Rosenstein in Rosenstein Palace focuses on biology and natural history.
The Stiftskirche Stuttgart also known as Collegiate Church, is an inner-city church in Stuttgart. It is the main church of the Evangelical-Lutheran Church in Württemberg as well as the parish church of the evangelical (Lutheran) inner-city church district of Stuttgart.
Stuttgart Art Museum
The Stuttgart Art Museum also known as Kunstmuseum Stuttgart, is a contemporary and modern art museum in Stuttgart, built and opened in 2005.
The cubic museum building with 5000 m² of display space was designed by Berlin architects Hascher and Jehle. During the day it looks like a glass cube, and at nights the interior lighted limestone walls become visible.
Copyright © All rights reserved.